StrongStart at Amy Woodland Elementary School
Program currently online due to COVID-19 protocols.
School day Zoom meetings run daily at 11:00a.m.
No registration is required for online program.
Email StrongStart facilitator Kelly.Fentie @sd5.bc.ca
or check out StrongStart Kelly on Facebook for Zoom invites and updates.
Amy Woodland Elementary School is a StrongStart BC Centre which offers a free drop-in learning program for preschool aged children (birth to five), their parents and caregivers. This program is facilitated by Kelly Fentie, who has a background in Human Services, Child Youth and Family Support and is a registered ECE assistant. StrongStart is a community initiative supported by the province of BC with program delivery in Cranbrook by CBAL (the Columbia Basin Alliance for Literacy) in partnership with School District 5. The program is child-led, incorporating positive parenting, literacy skills, cognitive, social and emotional support, as well as learning through play.
This early learning program is designed to help prepare your child to have a smooth transition into Kindergarten. The overall learning experience is shared by parents/caregivers and children alike. Parents/caregivers are encouraged to participate in activities that provide opportunities to engage families to build safe and secure relationships that enhance children's early years' development. Face to face activities include hands on learning with puzzles, imaginative play, crafts, songs, story time, free play and a healthy snack.
Join us to learn ways to support your children's early learning, get information about community programs, resources, services and make valuable connections with the school and others attending StrongStart. All attendees must be registered with the school with children's birth certificate and proof of residency. Registration is an important step: forms will be provided and must be completed on the first day of attendance for ANY StrongStart program.
Amy Woodland StrongStart Schedule- School days 9:00am-11:00a.m.
Please use 7th Street South entrance
COVID-19 Precautions for Face to Face Programming
- During COVID-19, all participants must sign up to reserve a spot for the number of people that they are bringing; ex. 1 adult + 2 children =3 spots.
- Parent and caregiver groups are limited to one adult and maximum of 3 children per daily session as space is limited to a maximum of 14 people (including adults and children)
- Do not attend the program if you or your child feel ill. A self-check upon entering the school is mandatory. Masks are mandatory for adults and must be put on prior to entering the school. Children 3-5 years of age are encouraged to wear a mask. Mask-wearing for children under 3 is at the discretion of parents.
- All participants must use hand sanitizer upon entering and exiting the classroom and maintain physical distancing of at least 2 metres from other family groups.
- A healthy to go snack will be provided at the end of the program. Personal snacks from home are not permitted in the classroom at this time.
- Extra cleaning procedures are in effect to protect your family and the community. All toys are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized after each daily group.
- The number of toys has been limited to accommodate extra cleaning procedures, but there is still a lot of fun to be had.
- We are all in this together and are doing our best to provide a positive and supportive atmosphere for both adults and children.