Who is the SE Kootenay DPAC?
The District Parent Advisory Council of School District 5 Southeast Kootenay, known as “DPAC” is the umbrella organization that brings together Parent Advisory Councils (PACs) in School District 5 -- Cranbrook, Fernie, Sparwood, Elkford and the South Country.
The purpose of the Council is to support, encourage and improve the quality of education and the well being of students in School District 5 by:
- Exchanging ideas and information among Parent Advisory Councils in the School District.
- Providing information regarding educational and community matters to parents and Parent Advisory Councils
- Providing the parental voice to education decision-making organizations affecting the School District.
The aims and objectives of the Southeast Kootenay District Parent Advisory Council shall be:
- To promote the interests of public education by fostering co-operation and communicating among parents, students, educators and school district representatives.
- To advise the school board on parental views about the school district’s programs and policies.
- To communicate with PACs about school district policies, programs, and activities.
- To provide leadership in developing and understanding the rights and responsibilities of parents within the education system.
- To assist parents and PACs in accessing the system.
- To assist its members in obtaining information about school, district and provincial programs and policies, and in communicating with district representatives.
- To liaise with partner groups and community organizations.
- To promote a positive image of the public school system within the district.